-returns out of no where after months-
The circumstances under which JH Williams and Haden Blackman are leaving Batwoman are frustrating. I believe Kate Kane (not Kathy as some people refer to her) is a fantasticly complex character that has benefited from both Greg Rucka and Williams and Blackman writing her. How sad all these writers felt the need to walk away from DC and the character.
DC was all about their dedication to the character yesterday at Baltimore Comic Con. I don’t doubt the dedication but clearly they needed to do something to counteract the rash of PR that swept through not just the comics press but the EVERYWHERE. As part of that they announced Marc Andreyko will be taking on the book with issue #25. I have been told that will now be part of the Zero Year promotion meaning that Batwoman will now have THREE “zero” issues in three years.
On Friday night, I started thinking about who DC would give the call to - I had another writer at the top of my list but Andreyko makes excellent sense and here’s why:
1. He’s written a female-led book with a large supporting case. Like Batwoman, Manhunter had a lot of supporting players. Some writers can handle large casts. Andreyko is one.
2. One of those Manhunter cast members is in Batwoman - Cameron Chase who was the friend and ex-college roomate of the lead.
3. Manhunter was a book which tends to operate in it’s own universe like Batwoman. Manhunter was set outside Gotham City in its original run and only had sporadic interaction with the rest of the DCU. While Batwoman we are told will now “be fully integrated” with the rest of the Batfamily to me that’s just code for “you’re going to do the cross overs.”
4. Didio was a huge promoter of Manhunter despite poor sales and Andreyko and he seem to have a good relationship. That’s bodes well for the book moving forward.
5. And finally and I know this last one is the one you’ve been waiting for … both characters are named Kate!
Okay, there is also that Andreyko is gay and so is the lead character and certainly given the circumstances that does have some nice PR spin to it.
DC has given me a lot to think about this week but I’m certainly glad that Kate Kane will still have a book for those who want to read about the character.
I’m just tired of DC Comics in general, truthfully.
What are your greatest imperfections?
Hm… I don’t really think about it.
I’ve got more important things on my mind.
Have you ever been betrayed?
Yeah, I have.
Are you an easy person to anger?
Depends on my mood, really.
But I’ve been told I am.
Do you daydream often? Of what?
This is the preferred order to read them in -
Elegy is crucial to read, it tells Kate’s back story which you would obviously need to know if you do want to read the current run of Batwoman. It also has a fantastic story set in present day as well.
- Detective Comics #854
- Detective Comics #855
- Detective Comics #856
- Detective Comics #857
- Detective Comics #858
- Detective Comics #859
- Detective Comics #860
I would definitely recommend that you read this but you do not have to read this because it isn’tcompletely crucial to Kate’s story. But the ending does reveal how Kate get’s her new sidekick which will appear in the current run of Batwoman. It is also half Batman and half Batwoman.
- Detective Comics #861
- Detective Comics #862
- Detective Comics #863
Now 52 is a very large story arc done by DC that started in 2006, there are some elements in this arc thatdo stay in the New 52 continuity but there are some that don’t. I really would recommend this story arc though, it was very good!
52 Arc (Not new continuity ):
The lead stories of the series are collected, with commentary from the creators and other extras, into four trade paperbacks:
- Volume 1 (collects #1-13, 304 pages, May 2007, ISBN 1-4012-1353-7)
- Volume 2 (collects #14-26, 304 pages, July 2007, ISBN 1-4012-1364-2)
- Volume 3 (collects #27-39, 304 pages, September 2007, ISBN 1-4012-1443-6)
- Volume 4 (collects #40-52, 304 pages, November 2007, ISBN 1-4012-1486-X)
NEW 52 CONTINUITY BEGINS:
The rest is the current run of Batwoman, which not a lot has changed, but there are some things that have changed. So keep that in mind. These volumes have basically one continuous story divided into sections, it is also still going!
Batwoman Volume 1: Hydrology
- Batwoman #1
- Batwoman #2
- Batwoman #3
- Batwoman #4
- Batwoman #5
Batwoman Volume 2: To Drown The World
- Batwoman #6
- Batwoman #7
- Batwoman #8
- Batwoman #9
- Batwoman #10
- Batwoman #11
This specific issue isn’t crucial but it will give you all of the feels and will reveal some secrets about Kate’s past.
- Batwoman #0
Batwoman Volume 3:
- Batwoman #12
- Batwoman #13
- Batwoman #14tbc.
I hoped this helped you getting into the amazing character that is Batwoman! Please, if you have any questions just shoot me a message and I’d be happy to converse with you.
Born in Ohio. Moved to what y’know as Canada. Technically America doesn’t exist anymore. What y’know as the United States merged with what y’know as Canada an’ Mexico.
I swear it isn’t as confusin’ as it seems.
Seems pretty confusing to me.
Fine. You get a pass.
Mainly because I like you.
I feel honored.
( Chuckles lightly. )